IMPORTANT: PTPA is helping to fight the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Haiti by joining with several other organizations in a consortium dedicated to training and education to prevent the spread of the disease. A number of folks with twin parishes have joined a PTPA group in nominating their twin parish to receive the training. You can fill out a form to make the request. Find out more by contacting the following organization:
You can also contact Theresa Patterson at her e-mail: email@example.com
Our partners in the consortium are:
Raising Haiti Foundation – Web site: https://raisinghaiti.org/
Smallholder Farmers Alliance (SFA) – Web site: http://www.haitifarmers.org/
Caris Foundation – Web site: http://www.carisfoundation.org/
Haitian Education & Leadership Program (HELP) – Web site: https://uhelp.net/
LIDE – Web site: https://www.lidehaiti.org/
SEA CONTAINER 2020 UPDATE: Despite locating a warehouse, we have canceled the spring 2020 sea container shipment due to the coronavirus pandemic and also our concerns about the continued unrest in Haiti. We will consider over the coming months whether to attempt a shipment in the fall of 2020. We will have to weigh the pandemic situation in Haiti at that time as part of that decision.
A group from Saint Henry Church in Nashville, TN visits with the Bishop of Hinche, Msgr. Simon-Pierre Saint Hillien C.S.C., and others in February 2014. Saint Henry had the Program’s first twinning with Haiti in 1978.
We are a non-profit organization focused on creating lasting sister parish relationships between parishes in the U.S. and parishes in the country of Haiti and elsewhere. We have hundreds of such linkages. The parishes develop a mutual and enriching relationship of sharing, solidarity and understanding. Parishes in the U.S. often raise funds and send resources to their twin parish and help with various special projects. Since 1978, our parishes have sent approximately 50 million dollars in aid to impoverished church communities in Haiti.
Smile–you can help PTPA though Amazon’s Smile program! If you have an Amazon account (or are willing to open one), try typing “smile.amazon.com” in your browser address bar (or type “https://smile.amazon.com”). On the Amazon Smile sign-in page, sign in to your account. You should see a page offering for you to choose a charity. Type “Parish Twinning Program” in the search box. By our name, click on “Select” (you only have to do that selection once). You must confirm that you know that you have to go to “smile.amazon.com” (instead of just going to Amazon’s normal website) every time that you want your shopping to help PTPA. Amazon matches a small amount of your purchases as a donation to PTPA if you go into Amazon Smile before each purchase.
What We Do:
- We endeavor to connect twin parishes.
- We facilitate and maintain these relationships.
- We help advise about med mission trips and parish trips.
- We offer Matthew 25 Hospitality House for travelers.
- M25 House provides lodging in Port-au-Prince.
- M25 House offers advice about transportation & interpreters.
- We help parishes to network.
- We accompany first-time parishes to Haiti.
- We organize and ship donated goods to Haiti.
- We help to resolve any issues.
What Catholic Churches in our Program Do:
- They do fact-finding visits to the sister parish.
- They take medical mission trips to the twin parish.
- They do med missions to other chosen areas.
- They undertake dental mission trips.
- They do fundraising for the twin parish.
- They aid schools with funding or materials.
- They help the twin parish with catechetical training and expenses.
- They assist the sister parish with construction projects–churches, rectories, etc.
- They send shipments of donated goods to the twin parish.
- They instigate water purification projects for the sister parish.
- They fund microcredit or other sustainable projects.
If your parish might be interested in twinning with a parish in Central & South America, Mexico, the Philippines, or the Spanish-speaking Caribbean, please contact the Coordinator of our Latin American Program:
Total Sister-Parish Relationships in Haiti: 300
The figures above vary from time to time.
Total for Central & South America, Mexico, the Philippines and the Spanish-Speaking Caribbean: 51
The figures above vary from time to time.